The DNA Analysis Laboratory is one of the four research and extension service laboratories at the Natural Sciences Research Institute (NSRI), University of the Philippines, Diliman (UPD). The laboratory houses state-of-the-art equipment for DNA analysis that can accommodate and facilitate research on the development of molecular tools to better understand the genetic variation in different Filipino regional and ethnolinguistic groups for forensics, health and molecular anthropological studies. The researchers and staff of the DNA Analysis Laboratory NSRI-UPD are fully committed to make use of excellent science, particularly in the field of molecular biology and genetics, in “putting science at the service of society”.
On 16 May 1996, the Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) was signed between the University of the Philippines and the Presidential Anti-Crime Commission (PACC), represented by then Vice-President Joseph E. Estrada. Both institutions agreed towards the establishment of the DNA Analysis Laboratory at the Natural Sciences Research Institute, University of the Philippines Diliman.
The construction of the DNA Analysis Laboratory, NSRI-UPD and installation of equipment was completed in December 1997.
The DNA Analysis Laboratory NSRI-UPD envisions a nation that uses population genetics and forensic genetics in fostering a love of country, in valuing its own genetic history, in protecting the rights of its people, and in building a knowledge-driven and humane society.
Together with our many collaborators and partners, we aim to:
- conduct cutting edge and high-quality forensic genetics research for the application of DNA technology in the pursuit of justice and the protection of human rights;
- generate a genetic data resource that is representative of all Filipino groups comprising the Filipino nation;
- provide a genetic perspective of Filipino history and origins by studying genetic variation across all Filipino groups;
- be an internationally recognized laboratory of excellence and an active contributor to the global knowledge resource for forensic genetics and population genetics;
- provide quality and reliable DNA testing services by highly skilled DNA analysts following local and international guidelines, and recognized by Philippine courts;
- communicate and disseminate population genetics research through dynamic and iterative community engagement, immersion and education for valuing Filipino heritage and identity;
- develop a pool of experts in order to strengthen the nation’s capability in using forensic DNA technology for the fair and swift administration of justice;
- provide exemplary education and training in population genetics and DNA forensics to stakeholders and the general public;
- give technical support as expert witness in court or as resource person for other agencies and private individuals;
- partner with government agencies and stakeholders in incorporating forensic DNA technology in routine civil and criminal investigations; and,
- use knowledge generated from population genetics studies and forensic genetics studies in aid of policy and legislation that should uplift the dignity and national pride of the Filipino people.